Interviewing is can be a difficult process, and there are so many things to remember!
Sometimes it’s helpful to keep it simple. Executive recruiter and career counselor Bruce Hurwitz has five basic no-nos which signal red flags to interviewers. These may seem like no-brainers, but if you have them down pat, you’re already ahead of the crowd!
1. Not being prepared. Hint: read the job description!
2. Not being able to answer simple questions. Hint: be informed about your current company and issues in your field.
3. Refusing to answer a question. Hint: this makes it look like you’re hiding something.
4. Not giving a direct answer to a direct question. Hint: this shows you are not listening or can’t communicate well.
5. Not having questions to ask. Hint: this implies that you are not engaged or thoughtful about your work.
Bonus tip– To really go the extra mile, research the company you are applying to and bring up topics you came across, or ask related questions.
If you would like to do a practice interview (or more than one!), please come see us in Career Services. We can give you valuable feedback which will ease you into the process when it comes time to apply for your dream job.
Source material: Avoid Doing These 5 Things At An Interview